In December 2018 details of the latest WestConnex M4-M5 route and tunnel depths were published on an interactive map which showed a large number of locations where the proposed tunnel depths would be far shallower than previously indicated.
Depths of between 16-25 metres under many residential streets in St Peters, Camperdown, Annandale and Leichhardt are unacceptable given the severe impacts which have already been seen on homes in other areas at deeper tunneling depths.
The Greens and affected community members are calling for the following:
- Scrap WestConnex and redirect money into public transport
- Deeper tunnelling
- Community representative on the RMS damage assessment panel
- Expand the zone of influence to 250m
- Vibration monitoring at homes within zone of influence
- Deploy ground movement detection technology to confirm causation of property damage
- Commit to compensating property owners for compulsory underground acquisitions
In April 2019 the WestConnex Action Group held a large community meeting to look at options for compensation for damage caused by the M4-M5 tunneling.
You can find information about this meeting here.Read more